Tourism & Highlights
The McCormick House
“THE BIRTHPLACE OF HUTCHINSON COUNTY”
LOCATED IN STINNETT, TEXAS
The McCormick House is one of four of the oldest existing dwellings in Hutchinson County. It is a record of how the earliest settlers lived in this county in 1899 in the Stinnett area. The original wood siding is still on the McCormick House underneath the plaster and outside board and batten. The McCormick House has been moved two times. It was moved to its present location by Hutchinson County ranchers, Edgar and Blanche Britain on August 5th, 1965. Mrs. Britain presented the deed of the house to the Hutchinson County Judge Norman Coffee during the regular meeting of the Commissioners Court on Monday June 8th, 1964. A dedication of the house was held August 8th, 1968.
Hutchinson County was organized in 1901. The McCormick House was the site of the first county elections in that same year. William “Billy” Dixon, famous buffalo hunter and government scout was elected the first sheriff of Hutchinson County. That election was also held in the McCormick House. The house was built two miles northeast of Stinnett by Isaac and Capitola McCormick in October of 1899. The house was built from lumber purchased in Panhandle, Texas located 35 miles south of Stinnett and freighted across the Canadian River by wagon and team.
Isaac and Capitola raised ten children in this house. The McCormick family settled east of Stinnett and lived in their wagon until the house was complete. When the family arrived, the country was all open range and operated as a cattle ranch by the name of Turkey Track. Buffalo had just recently disappeared from the plains.
Many descendants of Isaac and Capitola continue to live in Stinnett and Hutchinson County, making their own contributions to the land that was untamed just a little over 100 years ago.
The Golden Spread Grandmothers Club maintained the McCormick House for many years and opened it on a semi-regular basis. Many of the articles found inside the house belonged to the early settlers of Hutchinson County, including the McCormick Family.
Lake Meredith National Recreation Area
Lake Meredith was created when the Sanford Dam on the Canadian River flooded this area in the high plains of the Texas Panhandle.
Eight primary and several secondary recreation areas that skirt the lake offer off-road vehicle trails, picnic sites, camping areas, shelters, boat ramps, docks and our full-service marina.
Lake Meredith is a fisherman's haven, holding the state Walleye, Yellow Perch and Small Mouth Bass records. Swimming, water skiing, canoeing, scuba diving and sailing are also all great things to do on Lake Meredith.
Whether you're fishing or relaxing, Lake Meredith is a perfect venue for any outdoor adventure.
Lake Meredith contact information is below:
P.O. Box 1460
Fritch, TX 79036 or
419 E. Broadway
Fritch, TX 79036
Visitor Information (806) 857-3151
Headquarters (806) 857-3151
By Fax: (806) 857-2319